Monday, March 1, 2010

Feb. 28, 2010

O.K., two months of consecutive running in the book. Not such a big deal, really. it hasn't raised any money for charity, nor has it helped feed the homeless, or shelter the displaced in Chile or Haiti.

Running is a selfish act-I do it for me alone. I make no pretense that it does the world any good. Sure, it makes me a mellower Mike, and that's good for my fellow motorists, my enchanting esposa, and the dog and the cat, but so would potsmoking, or yoga. Both of which are even smellier activities than running. I run simply because I like to.

I will do what I can in other ways for the victims of the earthquakes in Haiti and Chile, and for the homeless and hungry in the city where I live. Running can not protect them from hunger, or the elements. Only my time and money, directed through well-staffed and managed aid organizations can help meet their basic needs. Having the time to run for enjoyment, and not for safety, is a luxury many do not have right now. I am not sure that I have always been aware of that fact. Right now, we must do all we can to help them get back on their feet, after which they might find time for moving them swiftly down the road a few miles.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment