Wednesday, January 27, 2010

On The Road With Joni 1/27/10

I think I mentioned once before that my wicked wife, who knows I am weak-minded, will sing a few bars of a song I can't stand, before I leave on my run. She does this because I once told her that the last song I hear is the one that will stay with me for the duration. It's usually just "the hook" that repeats itself, unto madness, when my mind should be free to pursue any thought that should cross it. Were it not for this psychosis, I could surely have come up with prize-winning and lucrative solutions to all kinds of conundrums, such as the struggle between Good and Republicanism, and the continued suckitude of the Royals.

And so, she used her powers of memory and singing to bedevil me. Her selection from the Shit Parade was "Both Sides Now," by Joni Mitchell. I love Joni Mitchell's music, but this is such a goofy song, I didn't even know she wrote it. I thought Neil Sedaka, or someone equally egregious had egested it just for Judy Collins. Not Joni, who wrote one of the best songs ever: The River. She could never have written such run-ruining crap lines as "Ice cream castles in the air." Alas, it's true, and my bountiful bride knew it. And she knew I would not be able to keep that drivel from running through my puny brain for 48 minutes. When will she use her powers for good?

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on.

Thanks for humoring me.

No comments:

Post a Comment