Sunday, January 3, 2010

Not Dashing Through The Snow

January 3, 2010:
A pretty unremarkable run, despite the newly-fallen snow on the streets. I had to wear my Yak Trax, and had only some minor slips throughout. I stayed off busy streets, just doing a few out and backs where I wouldn't have to compete with cars for the best line. I didn't get pissed at any drivers, and wouldn't that have defeated one of the purposes of running anyway: to diffuse my frustrations by prolonged energy expenditure?
I think patience is one of the great lessons of outdoor,winter running, especially when the footing is iffy. You just have to slow down. Accept that you're not going to run the pace you would on a day when the streets are clear. Enjoy being in the elements and moving through space under your own power.
The stats:
12.11 miles.
1:45:15.
8:51/mile
Overcast, w/light snow, 10 degrees/5 wind chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment