Sunday, January 31, 2010

January 31, 2010

Well, one month down, eleven more to go. I don't feel any the worse for wear, having run every day this month. I covered as many miles this January, as I did last: 195. That's about the same distance as it is from Warrenton, OR, to Coos Bay, but without the gorgeous rocky coastline and barking sea lions.

There were a few firsts around here today. Amy and I had a late brunch, more like a dunch at a cozy little cafe called Cozy's Cafe. We had eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and banana pancakes. It's a tidy place, with fresh flowers on every table. The silverware was clean, which Amy really appreciates, and the Mom and Pop who ran the place were very friendly.

The second first was that I ate a kumquat. I bought a pint of them, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to polish them off. Billed as "nature's original Sweettart," with a sweet peel, and a tart inside, I'd say they're mostly tart. It was like a grapefruit on meth. It singed my sinuses, which is not as pleasant as I make it sound. Pretty little orange-yellow guys, though. Plus, kumquat is a cool word to type.

Thirdly, I bathed the dog. He smelled so bad, the Health Department was beating on our door this morning. The only odor I can recall like it, was the one my brother gave off during the summer in which his goal was not to shower. As a seventeen year-old hormone farm, he went nowhere unnoticed that season. Blackie the Scottie was approaching that level of funkitude, so I sudsed him up, while Amy attended on-line church. The pastor admonished his congregation to be more Christlike, and by baptizing the dog for the sake of easing human suffering, this atheist did his part.

I hope your days went as well as mine.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment