Monday, April 5, 2010

The 163rd Game of 2009. 4/5/10

I ran two miles today. It was my first time on the roads since last Thursday, and even though it was not the smoothest run of my life, it left me feeling optimistic that I was getting back to regular.

On top of that good vibe, the Royals' Season Opener was this afternoon, and we had it on at the store. Their Cy Young Award-winning pitcher, Zack Greinke, was taking the mound, the day was warm and sunny...More optimism!

(Spoiler alert: If you haven't heard the result already, don't worry, it won't really be a surprise.)

The store was too busy this afternoon to just sit and watch the game for more than a few seconds at a time, so let me sum it up for you as best I can. The Royals gave up a run in the first inning, but then they came back a little while later and went ahead 2-1. Later, they were ahead 4-2 when Greinke was replaced by a relief pitcher. To put it another way, it was a relief for the Tigers when Greinke was replaced by another "pitcher." Just like last year, the bullpen snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, with the Royals losing 8-4.

It was just like watching many of their games from last year. The only comparable feeling I can relate to you, would be of stepping in a pile of dog shit just before the ground is covered by snow in the Winter, then, after the snow has melted in the Spring, you walk out your door and step in the same pile of dog shit. Have you gotten the sense, yet, that my optimism is waning just a bit?

I am going to have to run a lot tomorrow to make up for this.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment