Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Six More Miles of Winter 2/3/10

You know those runs in which everything falls into place? Where your legs are strong, your breathing easy, the drivers courteous? This was not one of those. My legs felt like bowling pins that were about to go down. My breathing was like that of a woman in the late stages of labor-before I'd even taken a step. And the one driver I encountered was a toad-he looked right at me and smiled as he rolled through a crosswalk on a red light.

But it was great, nonetheless, I stayed in touch with my inner five year-old: The kid who ran all the way to kindergarten on the first day of school. So happy to be in motion, that not even the fact that I showed up an hour early could get me down. I'd like to think I'm closer to him than I am to the sedentary, unhealthy, frustrated version of me that I would be if I let the toads of this world keep me from running the streets.

And, next time, I'm going to spit on his minivan when he goes by.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment