Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Feb. 23,2010

It was about as pleasant a 19-degree day as I could have asked for. It was sunny, and there wasn't much wind. Almost all of the ice was gone from the streets, so there was no need to put sandpaper on my shoes. The pace for my ten-miler was about forty seconds faster than yesterday, mostly because of the good footing.

I'd like to wish my dad a happy 71st birthday. He started running in the mid-1970s, the era of the Great Running Boom. The Complete Book of Running was a best-seller, and we had a copy in our home.

Dad would go for jogs through our neighborhood in Montgomery, Alabama, and we kids would sometimes tag along. It was fun for the nippers, but, for him it was much more important. He has had to deal with asthma and allergies his entire life, so running was a way to make his body as strong as possible, in order to mitigate the effects of his ailments. These days, he is afflicted with COPD, which has further limited his lung capacity. He still jogs, mostly inside this time of year, but his doctor believes Dad's breathing would be even more impaired had he not stayed with running.

Kids need examples. Someone who can show them what it is possible to do. My dad showed me that I could make exercise an integral part of my life. Not everyone is so lucky. Some parents teach their kids that drinking, or smoking, can fill that role, and they end up paying the price later, in the forms of disabililty and early death. And the psychological benefits-stress relief, time to imagine, et.al, are equally important.

I've been running around since I was old enough to do so. But my Dad gave it more meaning, and for that I am very grateful.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice tribute! You are a thoughtful youngster. Maybe that's what I like about you best. :o)

    ReplyDelete